Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Bronx Birthday memories, from a gal now "in her late forties".

Happy Birthday to me,
Happy Birthday to me,
Happy Birthday dear me-e-e....
Happy Birthday to me.

OK, so it's now been 6 1/2 months since I last "blogged"...

Lots that's new.

1. as the title indicates, now in my LATE forties, as of today.
2. recently celebrated my 25th wedding anniversary... who'da thunk
3. getting my ASS kicked by an autoimmune disease (therefore no blogging)

Today was also my Dad's birthday...he would have been 82.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DADDY!!!
When I was a little girl I used to tell him I was the best present he ever got.

Thanks to my mom, of course there would be no "birth"day without her, THANKS MOM!!!

When we were kids she would set up our little family birthday parties which consisted of party hats, a simple cake with candles, and ice cream sodas; made with "White Rock soda. When we did have a party outside of the house, Jahn's Olde Fashioned Ice Cream Parlor was the best destination. Those TRULY were the good old days.


In the section of the Bronx I grew up in, there was a birthday tradition for young schoolgirls to wear a corsage that denoted the age you were turning. NO FLOWERS!!!! There was always a pipecleaner bumble bee, a really pretty ribbon & bow, and more pipe cleaners attaching "treats" together. The treats were usually candy, but I swear I remember one age being little dog biscuits!!! There were Tootsie Rolls, Bazooka Bubble Gum, mini Lifesaver rolls, Chicklets Gum, Jolly Ranchers... I can't remember which candy sood for which age. What a SIMPLE pleasure.

OK - as far as the blogosphere... here goes:
I'm stuck at home, watching too much TV, while the rest of the world works, and after a 6 month hiatus... I'M BACK!!!!!!!

I'd like to resurrect this blog, which was only in it's infancy when I had to put it on life support.

I'd really like to know what you think, too...


- Election Day approaching... unbelievable news coverage & TV ads!!!
- Anti-gay bullying and bullying in general
- Bill O'Reilly refers to 9/11 attack on WTC as "killed by Muslims"
- CT Home Invasion Trial in sentencing stage... death penalty on the table; what's this nonsense about life in prison being cheaper??

Well, I gotta run for now. Getting old SUCKS.
Gonna have to smile while I cut my low fat, low sodium, low taste, even lower expectations, birthday cake.... JUST KIDDING.

Have a great one,

Sheila

No comments: